NLP Anchoring is one of the techniques from Neuro-Linguistic Programming, created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the 1970s. ‘Neuro’ relates to the neurological processes in the brain and the five senses with which we experience the world around us. ‘Language’ relates to the communication processes we use (such as self-talk, the pictures we create in our minds, our feelings, our memories, along with the sights, sounds and smells we associate with them). ‘Programming’ relates to behaviour patterns and strategies, which are learned through experience.
NLP Anchoring Works with Other Therapies Too
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (or NLP as it is also known) consists of many techniques that can change limiting beliefs and behaviour patterns, to bring about the required change. Different techniques, including anchoring, are used to treat a wide variety of phobias, habits, anxiety based disorders, psychosomatic illnesses, learning problems, and a vast array of other problems. NLP can be used by itself or combined with other modalities, such as hypnosis or EFT, to help you gain control of your emotions.
NLP anchoring can help you to gain mastery over your mind. The trick is to use it in just the same way that the mind naturally learns – fast! These are not long, drawn out processes. Instead these are mind hacks you can use to ninja kick your thought processes from working against you into working for your benefit – at speed!
Take it One Issue at a Time
Concentrate on one issue at a time, then when you have finished the session, go about your normal routine. This will ensure that your mind has time to process and adjust to its new way of being, while new neural pathways are being created. Don’t try to fix more than one issue at a time.
Be open to experimenting with these techniques, to see what works for you. Usually I find that a few rounds of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), otherwise known as Meridian Tapping or Energy Psychology, before using the NLP anchoring process, enhances the results.
How to Use NLP Anchoring
Anchoring is used to elicit or change from one feeling state to another. For example, to change from anxiety confidence. It works by creating a neurological association between a positive state of being and a specific stimulus.
The NLP Anchoring Process
1. Recall a time when you felt positive and happy, this can be any memory when you felt like this. Examples might be that you had passed a test or exam and you felt elated, a wonderful holiday where you had such fun, or a time when you received an unexpected, incredible surprise. If nothing comes to mind immediately, just imagine something fantastic happening.
2. Go there in your mind – step into your body and see what you saw, hear what you heard and feel what you felt – really get into the scene in your mind.
Increase the Intensity
3. Increase the intensity – whilst in the memory observing what you saw, heard and felt, ramp up the colours, brightness, sounds and feelings. Continue to turn up the dial on the intensity whilst you’re in that great memory until you reach maximum peak on the ‘positive and happy’ scale.
4. Once you are in the peak state, firmly press together your thumb and index finger. Hold for five seconds and then release your thumb and finger. Come out of the memory.
Continue the NLP Anchoring Process
5. Find another positive and happy memory (or create a positive and happy experience for yourself in your mind) and repeat the process. Then repeat again and again as many times as you can.
6. Check the anchor – distract yourself for a while, perhaps by doing some work or chores, then ‘fire off’ the anchor by pressing your thumb and finger together and notice how your internal state changes to feeling more positive and happy.
Repeat NLP Anchoring Regularly
7. Repeat the process regularly to increase the effectiveness of the anchor.
8. When you find yourself in a situation where you need a sudden boost of positive vibes, press your thumb and finger together, this should help you feel better in the moment.
I hope you enjoy experimenting with NLP Anchoring. Try it and let me know your results in the comments section below.
Did you like this article? You know, sharing is caring, so please share it with your friends!
And there’s more…
Richard Bandler, the co-founder of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) has helped millions around the world to gain control of their minds. Witty and entertaining, but chock full of mind-changing-in-a-flash techniques, this book is a must buy to help you be the person you want to be. Be empowered fast! Buy this book! Click on the link below: Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick & Lasting Life Change – Richard Bandler:
You were born to be great and enjoy life. Over time, you learned how to think like everyone else and negative thinking patterns crept in. But you are capable of being a powerful, confident, happy person. If you don’t feel like that right now it’s time to get back on track. This book can help. Buy this book! Click on the link below: Richard Bandler’s Guide to Trance-formation: Make Your Life Great – Richard Bandler:
Do you have a secret desire to write a book? Then everything you need to know about writing a book is right here - click on the link: 40 Days To A Finished Book!
Want to create big change in your life and have yourself some freedom from the daily 9 to 5 grind? Click on the link: Learn how to step into your best life by gaining the skills that you need!
Do you wonder who you’d be without the feeling of anxiety? Take a look at this video from my YouTube Channel. And please like, share and subscribe to be kept updated with new video uploads!
Did you like this blog? Share it with your friends!
To be updated with my latest blogs, books and courses – please fill in the contact form - Click on the Menu and then click Contact - I’ll be thrilled to hear from you!
© Ruthy Baker 2020